Planning Exercise: A Weight Loss Update | Giftie Etcetera: Planning Exercise: A Weight Loss Update

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Planning Exercise: A Weight Loss Update

A couple of weeks ago, I made a weight loss project section. It's working really well (and I'm already down 2.6 pounds), but I am trying to focus more on the exercise portion of the project lately, since I have food pretty much under control (except on Saturdays).

The key to working out most days a week, for me, requires four planning steps.

1. On my monthly calendar pages, I schedule a week's worth of workouts.




I schedule weekly workouts on my monthly calendar at the beginning of each week. The reason I do this is because my monthly calendar holds all appointments, so I can truly determine which days have time slots when I can workout and I can make sure that I get at least four workouts (though six is the real goal) each week.

Right now, I am scheduling next week's workouts.

A glance at my calendar shows me three workouts that are already planned. I am walking with the moms group that I started on Facebook with some moms from my kids' school on two days. On the third day, a Saturday, I scheduled a virtual 5K with one actual other person in town and my friends from across the country who are in my weight loss group.

That means I need two or three more workouts. I'll rest on Sunday (right after my kid's Saturday night slumber party), do yoga at the Y on Monday and Friday (two different classes, to account for differences in my schedule), and do a step and tone class at the Y on Wednesday.

TIP: Vary your workouts to keep it interesting and challenging and to avoid injury.

I do aerobic/dance type workouts, stair climbers, treadmills, weights/sculpt classes, pilates/yoga classes, and family walks in the park. I sometimes workout alone, sometimes with a class, and sometimes just with a friend.

2. The night before, I make a schedule for the next day that includes my workout along with a packing list.

(I know my task list for today is intimidating. It's actually a bunch of quick stuff, so it's not as bad as it looks.)


I write out my actual schedule and packing list the night before. In the example above, I'm working out at noon at the Y and packing water, fruit, nuts, and my workout bag.

Workout Bag Contents: (listed, of course, in the project section of my planner under Weight Loss project)

*change of clothes (if needed)
*flip flops (if needed)

*soap/shampoo (if needed)
*yoga towel (sticky on one side to use with mats at the Y)
*towel
*water bottle (just empty in case I forget mine)
*workout wallet with Y pass, lock, and earbuds

I only bring the "if needed" stuff when I have a meeting after working out. The separate wallet is so that I can bring just earbuds and water bottle with me when I use machines.

3. I log my workouts in my project section.



4. I keep resources in my planner listing things like times when the gym is open and lists of classes in my project section for easy scheduling.


So four steps: monthly scheduling, day before schedule/prep, day of logging, and resources for scheduling.

As you can see from my log, I'm doing a great job of working out. I am losing weight, fitting my clothes better, and feeling MUCH better emotionally. I'm also sleeping pretty well.

Who know that something as simple as using my planner would make this doable?

Etcetera.

No comments: